Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Musical Ecstasy: A Study Break

Sometime around seeing Swan Lake, watching School of Rock and listening to hours of Enya, I had the sudden urge to play the piano again. When I was little, it was good, and I liked it enough. But then I got older and self conscious. I never wanted to play at the Christmas party, and I was even known to skip a recital or two. I finally gave it up for good freshman year, and our piano has been gathering dust since. But, in the midst of finals, either as an attempt to distract myself or an actual urge came over me. I decided that when I got home I was going to get out some of my old books for the heck of it. Then, on Friday night I introduced to the BEST thing yet on campus by Denise. The 10th floor or Mundelin is like musical ecstasy. There are rooms upon rooms filled with pianos. The next day I went online and found sheet music. In the midst of studying for French, I decided to take a little break and visit Mundelin. Some of the pianos are older, but I didn't choose those ones. The largest room has a grand piano, but it would not appreciate my 3 year hiatus from practicing, I was not ready for that yet. So, I choose the room with an upright piano. I started plunking on the keys and something just clicked. I guess I didn't remember how much I actually enjoyed playing the piano, until I was doing it solely because I wanted to. Time flew by and I realized by the end I wasn't half bad. Granted I was just practicing the Goo Goo Dolls - Iris, but I still felt accomplished. I went back today to the same room and surprised myself by being able to remember the song and learn a little bit more. Afterwards I felt relaxed and ready to take on my tests with no problem. Not to sound like Emma Bovary, but I feel a project coming on. Hopefully soon I can work up to that grand piano!

No comments:

Post a Comment