Monday, July 5, 2010

The Evergreen State

Going to Washington should have made me think about the unsettling mountains, the fearful plane ride or the fact that I was finally reunited with the most western member of my lovely wolf-pack! But in my grand tour of Spokane in all of its glory; I was thinking about an odd moment that I thought for sure I would never go back to. Junior Year English Exam. The assignment was fairly simple, just an analysis of a short story. The story was The Kugelmass Episode by Woody Allen. A brief recount is basically a man who finds himself trapped in the story of Madame Bovary, himself in an affair with Emma (preferably before Rodolphe). At the time I first read this, I thought nothing of it, and simply handed in my exam and hoped for the best. Fingers crossed.

But as I walked around Spokane I noticed the small allusions to literature all around. First the store, Boo Radley's and then the coffee shop, Atticus.


Those two were straightforward enough, and probably purposely placed. But the real surprise was the carousel that was made for the 1974 World Fair. As Sarah talked about the irony that Nixon opened the Fair at the beginning of the summer and Ford closed it, I just saw the similarities between the carousel and the ending scene of "Catcher in the Rye". In front of me was a whimsical game that the children at the Spokane Summer Camp eagerly lined up for. The goal was the same as the classic story, to be the one who reached and caught the golden ring. 




The feeling that I was placed in the shoes of Caulfield's younger sister Phoebe made me think of the Kugelmass story, and I suddenly seemed intertwined with a classic as well. Of course, this had certain implications about my sanity. Sarah was always the one to be the advocate for Madame Bovary, but I seem to disagree. I sometimes find at times like these, imagining life with an ending fit for a great novel. Impulse, Adventure, Passion and Trepidation OH MY! Many people, myself and Emma Bovary included, are often the Kugelmass' type, they want the excitement with minimal effort, no reaching of their own. While spinning in circles (around the carousel or otherwise) think about if we took a page out of Mr. Salinger's book instead. Reach for the golden ring in life, even if it is dangerous. Believe me, I thought for sure a few children were going to fall they were trying so hard, (though that bloodbath would not have been fun to clean!) Phoebe Caulfield must have had it right, she shares the name of a Friend's character, after all.

P.S. Washington is the Evergreen State I was informed. This is because even though they produce more potatoes than Idaho, they felt obliged to give them something. They have nothing else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment